Thursday, May 20, 2010

What would I do?

Jessica Lal and Ruchika Girhotra - Two young girls, who lost their lives to the system. A system that lets people abuse their power and not bring timely justice to the ones affected. I have a young daughter, who I love tons – more than my life indeed. I never say no to her and indulge her coz I don’t know what tomorrow will bring for her. I hope she will find a guy who will love her to distraction and pamper her to distraction. I hope she will study and create a niche for her self and earn lots of her own personal money !
But sometimes I wonder what would happen if someone did something to her? Would I take that person / persons to the court to demand justice? I would have to run pillar to post for years in the court. If the perpetrators would be someone powerful ,my daughter will be branded the whore. Media would also indulge in defamation and mud slinging .
And thus in the Indian system, the victim would be further victimized, until she would lose whatever perspective , self esteem and confidence she will have.
What would I do therefore? I don’t think I would approach the police or the courts. There is a parallel system of justice that does exist and I would utilize that. Whether that would mean beating the guy senseless or skinning him alive, castrating him or killing him I would do it. I would protect my daughter and deliver justice to her. And the world be damned!

No comments: