Monday, March 14, 2011

Measure for Success

I was super ambitious when I was in school; fuelled by doing well in studies, sports and extra-curriculars and feted and peted by my principals and teachers, I believed I could conquer the world. My parents were focussed on giving me an education that would help me build a great career -and I dreamt of money, heading a business and taking my natural place in the Corporate order.I loved my first job and had a great time travelling across the country, even to places like Asansol, Patna and Dhanbad.
Then marriage and kids happened. And suddenly, much as I wanted to be a career woman, I could not bear to leave Nishna behind. Her little fingers tugged at my heart and I wanted to be with her. My mom kept nagging me to go back to work, but I could not. Praneet was on a roll and to be together meant that I had to give up work.
Those were good years, of sorts. I traveled the world, had another kid, but through it all, I itched to get back to work.
Going back to work after many years was a pleasure - getting up in the morning, getting ready, meeting people with whom you could share a coffee and gossip - and do interesting work.
It was not easy. My batchmates had moved way ahead of me and were heading divisions and/or companies, while I was no where near any of that. The years I had spent was an entreprenuer and the experiences I had gained because of that did not really count for anything. And ofcourse, I must be getting paid lesser than the MBA fresher.
All this does not really do good things for one’s ego.
My Mother always tells me to measure what I have gained against what my losses might be. I was lucky that I did not need to work for money, got to spend time with my kids and it is rewarding to see them grow into secure, confident, intelligent young adults.
It has not been pleasant to not have my own personal wealth (though truth be told, that did not stop me from spending Praneet’s money!).It makes me feel happy to see my friends so successful but it hurts coz I know I was as good, if not better.
After years I have eventually come back to what I love most - books. In my new freelancer capacity I write, read, edit and recommend good manuscripts. I get to curate the Kalaghoda festival and have made many friendships and business relationships because of that.
And today, I am at the crossroad of yet another decision - to stay at home for this year and write and nurture myself; or to join a fabulous company that is doing pathbreaking work in education.
The dilemma is intense, because for once I don’t think I have the energy to manage so much anymore. It is bothering me that I am possibly letting go of the best corporate job that has come my way.
But something a friend told me yesterday rings true for once. That this is possibly the only time I have, to create something that will impact kids’ lives. That I should measure my success against that, not against the amount of money I earn. That my success will be eventually reflected in the lives that my children carve out for themselves.
In the final analysis, I don’t know if I will win or lose!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Follow your passion. That will give you the energy, as well as the time. - Tau

Anonymous said...

A friend recently said, and I quote:
"The principles of success are actually rather simple, but simple does not equal easy. In fact I have found that doing things simply usually takes a good deal of hard work. A good deal of practice. I think part of the reason for this is that we think too much and make things more complicated than they really are. If you start out with a lack of confidence you will expect difficulty. When you expect difficulty it means your head is already filled with thoughts before you even begin. The more thoughts you have filling your head, the less you’ll be able to notice what is. The less you’ll be able to notice the simplicity.

Every accomplished artist, whether a ballerina or a boxer, performs with grace and ease. They can do this because they’ve pruned away everything that’s not essential to their performance. They snipped and trimmed until all of the complications and difficulty have been removed. With less to pay attention to they can give much more attention to what’s left. Being confident in their ability, there’s no separation between thinking and doing. There is only One."

Hope it helps bring peace to the terbulant mind.

Blessed be..

Tau

PS: Not casting any shadow on your confidence. Just felty like sharing with you :)