Saturday, November 12, 2011

A national anthem I can sing

I love singing our National Anthem and about the only place we get to sing it these days is at the movies!

Sure, we are a nation with a rich music cultural heritage. But why does that have to extend to the national anthem?Why should it be sung with classical sur and taal by shrill female voices and high pitched male ones? And why should there be strange experimentation?

The one that plays at PVR currently makes me want to dissolve in tears. It is boring and monotonous.I have to constantly keep adjusting my voice and pitch to the classical singers and it has my kids in splits.The others watch me with barely disguised amusement. I sound like a croaking frog or a besura dhondhu.

Why can’t there be simplicity? Like a national anthem sung in regular human voices that everyone can sing with gusto. Like the one that the Rajneeti film cast sang? Or just an instrumental version that everyone can sing in their voices?

Methinks it would be better for national and patriotic pride.

No comments: