Friday, August 26, 2011

Facing Rejection

Is rejection good? It hurts lowers your self esteem and makes you question the worth of everything you have ever known, loved or wanted.All of us have faced rejection at some point in our lives ,but connecting the dots back in my life, I can appreciate today, that rejection helped me, made me grow, made me happy , made me successful - as acceptance never would have.

There are 5 definite rejections in my life and each helped shape me and my future.

Rejection #1- I was sent to a boarding school at the tender age of 9 and I was miserable. Miserable, because I loved my Mom to distraction and wanted to be with her. At the end of every weekend, when she would drop me, she would hug me close and shower my face with kisses. I wanted to hold on to my Mom’s smell - and would therefore, not wash my face or take a bath for the next few days. This led to a lot of bullying and I was troubled massively. Nobody would talk to me or be friends with me either. I hated the place, hated the people and everything the Ranchi hostel stood for.

Good thing! By the time I went to my second hostel, I had become a fighter. I was no longer the docile Preeti Bakshi, and though I still quavered with fear inside, there was no way I would get bullied again. I was fearless and outspoken and went on to represent my school in debates, dramatics, sports - you name it!

Rejection #2 - I always wanted to be a journalist and loved English Literature. Much against my Mom’s wishes, I took up English in college, took German and journalism lessons, reported about the Mandal Commission protests in the Delhi University and was all set to become a journalist. I took my Mass Comm exam for Jamia Milia and cleared it. Confident that I would get it, I went in for my interview and was unceremoniously thrown out of the office (in 15 seconds flat) because the interviewer decided I was not good enough!

Good thing! My parents pushed me to take my MBA exams - I worked in fabulous companies and with amazing people. Today, I have gone back to what I loved the most - writing - but I have a keen intuitive sense on if something will work or not! And that comes with a business perspective too, though I still despise numbers.

Rejection #3- When the guy I thought I loved, dumped me. I was shattered, but what a heaven sent opportunity that was.

Thank God! I would have never met Praneet who loves me unconditionally. Non-interfering in my life, Praneet has let me be and supported and helped me explore myself, my capabilities and test new waters. He is the best father I could have wished for my kids and has spoilt me too much for any other man!Touch wood - I must have accumulated some really good karma (in my previous birth)!

Rejection #4 - When I had Nishna and wanted to go back to work - my boss -who had been my lifeline and whose blue eyed girl I was, flatly refused to take me back at Ranbaxy. I hated him for years, especially since he insisted on piling me with gyaan not asked for.

Good thing! Because I had no job, I travelled the world with Praneet and my kids. Travel opened up my mind and my perspective.I learned new languages, tasted new foods, met people of different nationalities and made excellent friends. I spent valuable time with my kids, and today I realise how blessed I was. What job in the world could have compared to the joy of being there when Nishna sucked her thumb for the first time, tasted cerelac for the first time or being kissed sloppily by Udai all the time .For my kids I was the only person in the world - absolutely indispensable!

Rejection#5 - When I quit Disney and they refused to take me back after a while. I was so heartbroken - I loved the Company and they did not want me. Sob Sob!

Thank God! I learned to look at different things and ventured out to try new stuff, that was outside my comfort zone. I started writing, editing, curated the Kalaghoda festival, met publishers and slowly but surely, found my groove. I figured what I am really good at and got opportunities to hone my skills there.

Today, when I look back at my life, I would not have it any other way. I am grateful for all those rejections, because they helped me build a better life. They made me human, because I felt the pain, but I learnt to forgive, forget and move on - to a happier and a more fulfilling, successful and deserving future!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rejection - the unexpected turn life has 'pre-planned' for us ;)
Unless we take that turn, we know not what magnificient view is hidden behind it ...

Blessed be ..