Friday, August 12, 2011

Rakhi Brothers??

As a young girl, the only time I missed a brother was when it was Rakhi time....and sisters got gifts from their brothers!
I never quite understood the concept of making a rakhi brother. Boys were classified in three categories for me - the first were the ones I liked/crushed on and definitely had no sisterly feelings towards them. The second set of boys were my bum chums - people I liked to hang out with. I felt affection but no lust or sisterly love for them. And the third group was the one I was totally indifferent towards....ones I felt absolutely nothing for!
I hated it when our conservative school wanted us to tie a rakhi on the boys of our school and that was the first big conflict I had with my teachers.
Back then, it was so difficult to make them understand that I did not want to make the boys my brothers.I was considered very impudent and ‘fast’!
Ofcourse, I gave in to the pressure one year and went to tie ‘rakhi’ to my friend’s younger brother in the boy’s school .That was only because I was crushing on another boy and this would have been an opportunity to see him and chat with him.
I have watched with amusement when my male friends have made ‘sisters’ of the hottest girls in our batch .No way would the hot chick have noticed my poor friends, but by becoming ‘rakhi’ brothers, they could now cosy up to the girl of their dreams, hug her and share her confidence! Perfect relationship!
I am constantly on Nishna’s case to not make a ‘rakhi’ brother and warn Udai to not get a ‘rakhi’ sister.It is blasphemous coz no-one, and I mean no-one compares or matches up to your own sibling. Years later, when Paras came into our lives, I was 16 and Rano was 13. And we knew the sheer joy of a brother. He was way too young, but still utterly protective and indulgent with us. And I bet I could not have loved anyone the way I love my own brother and everything he stands for! He is my parent’s gift to us and the house I will always consider my own.
And the only one I can kiss, hug tight and give my life for!

1 comment:

Natasha Sharma said...

So very true. I steadfastly refused to make "rakhi brothers" for the very same reasons. Always felt it undercut the emotions and feelings I have for my own brother... that last through life.