Saturday, October 10, 2009

Celebrating Marriage

Karva Chauth is one of the only times I blatantly lie to my in-laws. They think I keep the vrat and I have little courage to tell them I don’t. Not that I don’t love Praneet or don’t want a long life for him or don’t want to demonstrate my love for him. But really, I don’t love him more on that day – rather I will hate him for being the reason I went hungry that whole day! I am happy to do it the year he is not travelling and keeps it with me, but food is too dear to me!
Anju had this wonderful take on Karva Chauth – she looks at it as a celebration of her marriage. For so many years you look for the right person to marry and then when you do, and Karva Chauth comes around, it is such a fun ritual. It breaks the monotony of another working day – you get mehndi put, buy new bright clothes and bangles , get up in the morning for sargi and start your day! There is Puja in the evening and that ritual makes you feel part of womanhood and helps connect with other women! Ofcourse, New Age women raise a toast to their husbands. Women bond big time with each other that day as well – bunches meet to play cards or go see a movie!
Then there are husbands like my father and brother in law and many friends, who also keep the vrat with their wives! That is so gracious of them!
But Anju made me realise that this is not about men! This is about women and the happiness that it brings to them. The ritual may have its roots in any tradition or superstition, but the feeling that one does it with is complete love..and therefore, I think a better celebration of marriage than the anniversary!
So Praneet darling, I will definitely do one of these two things next year – Either tell Mummy truthfully that I can’t keep the vrat, or will actually keep it for you!
Keep the gift ready in that case!

No comments: