Thursday, August 23, 2012

Girl Friends


I have been trying to analyse the movie ‘Cocktail’ and why it did not leave me with a happy feeling. And here is why...

How could the Diana Penty character betray her best friend? The guy shifting his emotions - I can understand, but a girl friend doing that to her best friend??That does not gel with me. 

Maybe coz in my small universe we don’t do that - my girlfriends and I. We share confidences - the kind men can never understand! From husbands to boyfriends, to bosses ,in-laws and kids, from sex to fantasies and dreams,  clothes to food ,diets to illnesses  - we discuss it all. My girl friends know my mood instinctively...as I know theirs - from their fb and bb updates, to the timing of the call or the need to go out for a coffee or drink!

We fight, we have misunderstandings and we may not meet for years. But we pick up conversation from where we left it and quickly update each other about everything. 

And we don’t eye each other’s husbands, boyfriends or significant others. That is taboo. We fight all we can, but would never dream of sharing those confidences with our partners or other male friends. And we don’t choose male friends over our female friends.

 I have close male pals , but my girl friends are what keep me ticking and going.I know they will never ever betray me and I can truly be myself with them. Yes, there is judging, bitching and  giving gyaan - but it done with the utter confidence that none of us will be betrayed. 

And I feel blessed - that I have atleast as many close girl pals as my fingers!! And I definitely don’t want a Diana Penty character in my life. 

No comments: