Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I know SRK!

I took Nishna for an ice-cream just after ‘Jab We Met’ had been released . There was Shahid with Sania having icecream. Now Nishna likes Shahid so I kind of whispered to her – ‘Look there is Shahid’. She was casual and when we came out of the shop, I thought she had not seen him. I asked Nishna if she did not see Shahid and she responded that she had seen him. So, I said, ‘You did not react Nishna’ . Nishna turned to me and said – ‘So Mom, it was only Shahid! What’s the big deal!
For this attitude of hers, I only have SRK and family to thank. As luck would have it , SRK’s son is my daughter’s classmate. And the world around her was terribly excited. On a visit to Delhi, one of our friends said to Nishna, ’So Nishna, you are in Aryan’s class?’ That day, I knew I had a rockstar on my hands, coz Nishna turned and disdainfully said, ‘No, Aryan is in MY class!’
For mere mortals like me, being on the fringes of celebrities has its own share of Cheap thrills. It makes for good conversation . All our class mom lunches invariably turn to the discussion on SRK and his family. And everyone around me assumes that I have so much knowledge on them!
Questions I am asked regularly - How are SRK and gang? (As if I meet them for any meals!). Is SRK a good father? (Well on the face of it!). Do Gauri and he look happy? (Well they have not confided in me, but on the face of it, they look happy!). Did he and Juhi have something going on? (Hmmm)
I also strut a bit and knowledgably give out some information – SRK is so involved with his kids -he is there for every PTM and function. He is so unaffected – he does not try to attract attention to himself – someone from the school actually attempts to give him a good seat! SRK behaves so nicely with the kids! Just a regular father! Ha! Howzzat!!
When she was younger, Nishna was terribly upset that SRK died at the end of Kal Ho Na Ho. And she was shocked out of her wits when she saw him at school. She was petrified that she had seen a ghost.
It was a task to help her understand the difference between real and reel life. Why SRK could be a lover boy in one movie and why he can hug and kiss women other than Aryan’s mom on the screen? Why SRK the dad is a different person from SRK the actor! Why they have bodyguards? Why it is not cool for her to ask him for an autograph? Why some teachers suck up to SRK and his kids – to help her understand that they do them more harm than good. Why SRK and his kids may have a life that is not envious!
The upside of being on the fringes of celebrities has been that my kids are completely un-enamoured by the ‘celebrity’ crowd! Tough to be I guess, when you grow up with those kids and they are no different from you. But she has to contend with friends from other cities and schools who all have a crush on AK! Boy! He is already a rockstar!

1 comment:

Nishna Singh said...

mom, i never thought i saw a ghost ok!!!but you're right, why should i really care?